Woodland Park Zoo, which occupies the western half of Seattle's (USA) Woodland Park, near Green Lake, began as a small menagerie on the Woodland Park estate of Guy C. Phinney, Canadian-born lumber mill owner and real estate developer. Opened in 1899, the 188-acre Woodland Park was sold to the city for $5,000 in cash and the assumption of a $95,000 mortgage on December 28, 1899, by Phinney's wife (Phinney had died six years earlier, in 1893). The sum was so large that the Seattle mayor vetoed the acquisition, only to be over-ruled by the city council. In 1902, the Olmsted Brothers firm of Boston was hired to design the city's parks, including Woodland Park, and the next year the collection of the private Leschi Park menagerie was moved to Phinney Ridge.
Its collection includes: 1,145 animal specimens, 290 animal species, Woodland Park Zoo had 1.05 million visitors in 2006.