Founded by William Nicholas Selig (March 14, 1864, Chicago, Illinois - July 15, 1948, Los Angeles), noted as a pioneer of the American motion picture industry and founder of the Selig Polyscope Company in Chicago, one of the first motion picture studios in America.
In 1915, 700 animal species were residing at the Selig Zoo, situated in Eastlake Park (now known as Lincoln Park).
The zoo was known as Luna Park Zoo from 1925 to 1931.
In August 1966 the Griffith Park Zoo closed and the first group of animals was transferred to the new location. Two elephants were moved.