Maximus (Max, Somboon) at Elephant Nature Park (Sangduen Chailert)

† Maximus (Max, Somboon)
ID Number:
Species: Asian elephant (Elephas maximus)
Sex and age:Male ♂ 48 years old
Dead date: 2009-04-17
Death reason: anesthesia:
Location:Elephant Nature Park (Sangduen Chailert)
ArrivedElephant Nature Park (Sangduen Chailert) 2003-03-03
from Elephant Heaven Nature Park (Sangduen Chailert)
Elephant Heaven Nature Park (Sangduen Chailert)
from Surin unspecified Elephant Camp
Born:1961 captive-born
Document updated2009-04-17:�death
2013-05-11: text
Born in 1961 at Um Phang District, Tak province. His mother was a logging elephant

The death of Max

Contradictory records:
There are two stories of Max death

The official story told in a ENP newsletter 2009:
“We at Elephant Nature Park are so sad to have to announce yet another tragic loss. Good old Max passed away at approximately 11:00 am on April 17th. His legs had finally given out on him and he could no longer get himself up even with help.. [...} He wasn't moving any slower than he would have on a normal day for Max. Everyone was so happy that he had made it up to the platform to have lunch. He even went to the mud pit and stayed there for about a half an hour splashing himself. Max had his abscess treated and then it was time to start making his way home. He received another dose of ibuprofen that evening. Again that night he didn't lay down, and the next morning it was obvious that he was feeling the effects of all of his activity the day before. He stayed mostly back by the big fig tree where he could lean against it and hang his trunk from a large branch, when he moved it was very slowly. As the day progressed he was trying not to bear any weight on his front legs at all. He was given another dose of ibuprofen but at this point it didn't seem to be helping him. He seemed so exhausted that we were sure he would lay down on this night, and were also sure that he wouldn't be able to get up the next morning. As was expected, Max did lay down that night. In the morning he tried valiantly to get up on his feet, but his legs just didn't have the strength to do what he wanted them to do. We just couldn't put him through the indignity of being pulled up by the crane yet again, knowing how much pain he was in when standing and knowing when he laid down again we would be back in the same predicament.”

This story in poetic terms, presenting the death of a beloved elephant, is challenged by a second:

“I believe they (vets from TECC) anesthetized him because he had a long term infection in his tusk socket and he was down. and they went to put the retro activating agent in him (after they had treated the infection and the volunteers that were present protested as they said he should wake up naturally and the vets were intimidated and so did not dare to cross the angry visitors. He was under to long and ended up dying i guessed they used a heavy dose as he was a large bull.”

The first story doesnt tell about any vets from Lampang.

Sources, among others

  • Hinesh Patel

Internal relevant links

Search more on the web for Maximus (Max, Somboon) Guestbook Recent changes-updates Glossary - Encyclopedia Frequently asked questions Elephant Facts & Trivia Evolution Extinct:Proboscidea Species Anatomy Diseases People Care Footcare Training Breeding Database Location database Shiva Organizations Literature F Posters Website Webrings Contact Selected links News