Founded as E. F. & J. Mabie’s circus by brothers Edmund (1810-October 26, 1867) and Jeremiah “Jerry” (June 12, 1812-August 31, 1867), sons to Joshua and Elizabeth Gifford Mabie from New York. Edmund and his wife, Laura Buckley, had 8 children; Jeremiah and Anna Mary Field had 3.
1840: Mabie's Circus hires Seth B. Howes as the manager and director
1841: they formed a partnership with Nathan A. Howes to operate the New York Circus, sometimes advertised as the Olympic Circus.
1843: Nathan A. Howes left the firm and Jeremiah Mabie took a year off, leaving management in the hands of Seth B. Howes and Edmund F. Mabie.
1846: Seth B. Howes sold out his interest.
1847: title was changed to Grand Olympic Arena and United States Circus, with Edmund as manager.
1847: Jeremiah managed the company, 1849, after which the brothers spent less time traveling with the show; Pardon A. Older bought a one-third interest this year. Older became manager.
1852: the title changing for the summer season to Great United States Circus of Older & Co.
1852-11: Edmund and Jeremiah Mabie entered into contract with with leading menagerie entrepreneur James Raymond, and toured under title of Mabie & Co.’s United States Circus and Raymond & Co. and Driesbach & Co.’s Menageries Combined, Pardon A. Older still the manager.
1853: the Raymond name was dropped from the title.
1854: Older sold his third of the firm back to the Mabies this year.
1861: title was E. F. & J. Mabie and J. J. Nathans Combined. Mabie’s Great Show.
1862: Mabie’s Grand Menagerie
1863: following year marked the end of the Mabie tours.
1865: Adam Forepaugh and John V. "Pogey" O'Brien purchased the Jerry Mabie Menagerie, consisting of 12 cages, two elephants and other animals, for $25,000.