Cologne Zoo (Köln Zoo), located at Riehler Straße 173, in Köln, in Germany, was founded in 1860 and the first elephant arrived in 1864.
At Cologne Zoo (Köln Zoo) lives 13 elephants with records in this database: (detail list)
The zoo was founded in 1860. The world wars led to a phase of stagnation, and the zoo had to close for two years entirely, after virtually being destroyed in World War II. It reopened in 1947; the aquarium was added in 1971. In 2020, 43 Asian and 12 African elephants had been kept in Cologne Zoo.
1860: Founded in 1860, Cologne Zoo is the third oldest Zoo in Germany.
1864: The first Asian female elephant arrived in 1864, no name or picture is known from this elephant.
1868: She was followed by another two Asian female elephants in 1868.
1874: The first African elephant arrived.
1874: The zoo is flooded by the nearby river.
1882: The zoo is again flooded by the nearby river.
An African elephant demolishing its stable during a flooding.
1901: A male and female Asian elephants, with the names Tom and Dora.
1895: A second African elephant with the name Magascha, arrived.
1940: Due the Worldwar II, elephants were removed.
1950: Again the first elephants arrived.
1954: African elephant Savani arrived.
1969: Two African elephants arrived, Pretti and Tanga.
1998: Tanga died.
2004: Savani died in the old house.
2005: Pretti was relocated to Zoo Planete Suavage, where she died in 2012.
The elephants were for many years kept in an old elephant house, a Moorish-looking building, that amazingly survived the bombing in World War II, but in 2004 a totally new area was changed into an "Elephant park" with a new house and the largest outdoor enclosure north of the Alps.
2006: import of a group of female Asian elephants from Thailand.