Sparks Circus in United States

Sparks Circus


OwnerJohn H. Sparks
?-1928: Charlie Sparks (adopted)
1928-?: American Circus Corporation
Ringling brothers
Closed down1932
Country United States

Directors?-1903: John Sparks
1903-1928: Charlie Sparks (adopted)

Key People


Elephant department

Head keepers
of elephants
-1923: Louis Reed
(elephant superintendent)
1923-1924: Walter McClain
(assistant superintendent)
1924-1931: Walter McClain
(elephant superintendent)

Elephant keepers
Relevant literature

Sparks Circus, United States . Sparks Circus closed down in 1932.

Comments / picturesCircus began in the 1890s as the John H, Sparks Old Virginia Shows, established by John H. Wiseman (1863-1903). He used the name of Sparks on all of his entertainment shows and legally changed his name to John H. Sparks. He died on January 29, 1903.

1917: Walter McClain started 1917 as candy butcher at Sparks Circus, became assistant to Louis Reed in 1923, and Elephant superintendent 1924-1931.

References for records about Sparks Circus

Recommended Citation

Koehl, Dan (2021). Sparks Circus, Elephant Encyclopedia. Available online at (archived at the Wayback machine)

Sources used for this article is among others:

Sparks Circus on

Sparks Circus is mentioned on Elephant News:

DateLinks which opens in new window
2020-09-13Today in elephant history: sept. 13 - Elephant News

Search more with Google for Sparks CircusThe link will automatically include Sparks Circus and open a new browser window.

Search more on the Internet Web for Sparks CircusThe link will automatically include Sparks Circus and open a new browser window

Categories circus in United States | United States Portal | northamerica Portal

About this documentThis document was updated: 2022-04-16 14:45:59 with valid HTML5 Valid CSS

Elephant Encyclopedia and database

Established 1995
Established 2006
Your ip: