Circus Medrano-Swoboda in Austria


Circus Medrano-Swoboda



Local name Zirkus Lajos, Circus Medrano aus Wien, Circus Hellas
Typecircus

Owner -1969: Renato Medini
1904-1952: Ludwig Swoboda
1912-1969: Therese Swoboda
1952-1969: Hella Medini
Closed down1969
Place Vienna
Country Austria

Directors 1952-1969: Therese Swoboda (director)
1952-1969: Anita Swoboda (director)
1952-1969: Wanda Swoboda (director)

Key People -: Krimhilde Swoboda (artist)
-: Clarissa Medini (animal trainer)
-: Mario Medini (artist)
-1941: Stefanie Swoboda (artist)

Veterinarians

Elephant department

Head keepers
of elephants

Elephant keepers
Random literature
Description

Circus Medrano-Swoboda, in Vienna, Austria . Circus Medrano-Swoboda closed down in 1969 in Vienna, .


Comments / pictures

The circus was founded in Austria in 1904 by Ludwig Swoboda (1881-1952), which was initially called Zirkus Lajos (Lajos is the equivalent of Ludwig in Hungarian). And so, the Swobodas toured extensively in Eastern Europe, the Balkans, and the Mediterranean countries—including Italy—under the title Medrano until the 1960s. After Ludwig’s death in 1952, the circus was managed by his daughters—three of whom, Therese, Anita and Wanda, had achieved considerable fame with their equestrian act, which they performed as the Medrano Sisters.

The circus reopened in Vienna on October 20, 1968 at the Schwendermarkt—not far from where their winter quarters had once stood. The Viennese engagement was financially successful, and the sisters resumed their Austrian tour in 1969. But, out of Vienna, the name Medrano had evidently lost its appeal, and the tour was another financial disaster. Circus Medrano aus Wien gave its final performance on August 30, 1969. Circus Medrano aus Wien gave its final performance on August 30, 1969. Circus Medrano-Swoboda (as it became known in the business to avoid confusion with its French counterpart) eventually ceased its activities in 1969.

Three of the Swoboda sisters, Therese, Anita and Helena (Hella), had married and settled in Italy, where they had rented the Medrano name to various Italian circuses. Therese had died in 1951, and Anita eventually left the circus; Hella, who had married Renato Medini, of the famous Italian circus family, eventually remained sole owner of the title. In 1972, Medrano seemed to Leonida Casartelli a perfect name for his circus: Casartelli exploited the same market as had the Swobodas, a market where the Medrano title had gained, over the years, prestige and recognition. He made a deal with Renato Medini, and legally purchased a name that belonged to the seller somewhat illegitimately.
Raffaele De Ritis, Italy

References for records about Circus Medrano-Swoboda

Recommended Citation

Koehl, Dan (2021). Circus Medrano-Swoboda, Elephant Encyclopedia. Available online at https://www.elephant.se/location2.php?location_id=3550. (archived at the Wayback machine)

Sources used for this article is among others:



Search more with Google for Circus Medrano-SwobodaThe link will automatically include Circus Medrano-Swoboda and open a new browser window.


Search more on the Internet Web for Circus Medrano-SwobodaThe link will automatically include Circus Medrano-Swoboda and open a new browser window

Categories circus in Austria | Austria Portal | europe Portal


About this documentThis document was updated: 2022-04-06 03:01:33 with valid HTML5 Valid CSS


Elephant Encyclopedia and database
ELEPHANT
ENCYCLOPEDIA

Established 1995
ELEPHANT
DATABASE
Established 2006
Your ip: 3.80.3.57