Vienna Zoo, located at Maxingstrasse 13B, in Vienna, in Austria, was founded in 1752 and the first elephant arrived in 1772.
At Vienna Zoo lives 6 elephants with records in this database: (detail list)
Schönbrunn, being the oldest Zoo in the world, already opened for visitors in 1752 and has kept 37 elephants since 1772. The second (Asian) elephant born in European captivity, Mädi was born here 1906 and lived 38 years.
In 25 april 2001 the first elephant calf in Europe bred trough Artificial Insemination were born here.
The new elephant park was built in 1996, covering 6. 700 m² and the stable includes 827 m², with 650 m² area for the cows, and three bull boxes, each messuring 63 m². There is pools inside and outside, and also a clay bath. The out enclosures is over 4. 600 m², divided in a larger area for the cows, and a smaller for the bull. Only "soft" moats are used, in order to reduce the accident risks.
Vienna Zoo transfered all their elephants into protected contact in 2007/2008.