William P Hall Animal Farm in United States


William P Hall Animal Farm
Typedealer
First elephant arrived1905
Last elephant left1935
PlaceLancaster, Missouri
CountryUnited States
Relevant literature
Description

William P Hall Animal Farm, located in Lancaster, Missouri, in United States and the first elephant arrived in 1905. The last elephant left in 1935.


Comments / pictures

William Preston Hall (the Colonel, Diamond Billy, "Horse King of the World") was born in Schuyler County, Missouri, near Lancaster, on February 29, 1864, and had a 160 acres farm where he kept and bred mules and horses, delivering to, among others, American Express Company, as well as mules to the Southafrican army during the Boer wars. Hall was considered to be the developer of the Missouri Mule.

1904: he visited the St. Louis Worlds Fair in order to sell mules for the Boer War show, and bought two camels from the Carl Hagenbeck show. The Boer War show also made winterquarter at his farm this year, and in the fall he bought the broke Harris Nickel Plate show, and later the Walter L. Main Circus which became next year his own circus.
1905: William P. Hall Circus (The Great William P. Hall Shows - Double Menagerie - Colossal Circus - Elevated Stages and Real Roman Hippodrome).
1905: He built the elephant barns in 1905, and later everything from horses, mules, lions, tigers, camels, and elephants were bought, trained and sold to Circuses.
1908: he sold 100 horses to Ben Wallace (Hagenbeck-Wallace Circus). The horse stock sometimes numbered over 2 000 horses.
1909: He also bought the Lemon Brothers Circus in 1909.

Especially the imports of elephants from India during 1905, 1913, 1914, 1915 rendered him as one of the larger suppliers of elephants to american Circuses, and during the 20s and 30 he used to keep 20-30 elephants on his farm, not only importing elephants but also bying, training, and selling american circus elephants.

1932: Colonel William P. Hall, 69, died at his home in Lancaster, Missouri, June 29, 1932 at the age of 68, and his widow and his son William P. Hall Jr. (Billy) took over the farm, assisted by an old friend, Bert McClain. (Mr Hall also had two daughters, Sidney and Wilma)

1933: In September, Charles Webb purchased three elephants for his Russell Bros. Circus

1934: Zack Terrell bougth 3 elephants, and in the same year Cole Show bought in 1934 7 elephants for 1 000 $ each, and and in 1935 another 9+15 elephants, and after the season the final three elephants at the farm (including old Major).


References for records about William P Hall Animal Farm

Recommended Citation

Koehl, Dan (2020). William P Hall Animal Farm, Elephant Encyclopedia. Available online at https://www.elephant.se/location2.php?location_id=610. (archived at the Wayback machine)

Sources used for this article is among others:



Search more with Google for William P Hall Animal Farm


Search more on the Internet Web for William P Hall Animal Farm

Categoriesdealer in United States | United States portal



This document was updated: 2020-10-30 07:03:11


Elephant Encyclopedia and database
ELEPHANT
ENCYCLOPEDIA

Established 1995
ELEPHANT
DATABASE
Established 2006
Search for keywords
Your ip: 3.239.40.250