Brussels Zoo, located at Parc Léopold, Etterbeek, in Antwerp, in Belgium, was founded in 1851. The last elephant left in 1879. Brussels Zoo closed down in 1880.
The 16 acre estate of the Chevalier Dubois de Bianco was acquired, situated in the present Parc Léopold.
Brussels zoo went bankrupt in 1877.
1879: Two elephants sold to Antwerp Zoo.
Despite an attempt at a re-launch it closed in 1880. The animals were sold to Antwerp Zoo, or to private menageries, even sadly killed on site.
An African elephant, a former resident of Brussels zoo, was stuffed in 1880.
Thhe zoo’s grounds became a public park: the Parc Lépold.