James M. Cole Circus, in United States, was founded in 1946 and the first elephant arrived in 1946. The last elephant left in 1957. James M. Cole Circus closed down in 1950.
The James M. Cole Circus toured from 1946 thru 1950. Their first elephant "Frieda" was on the show from the start, the other two "Elizabeth" and "Dorothy" were imported in 1947. After the show closed, Mr. Cole retained the elephants as an independent act, 1951-´57, during the time Mr. Dykes pictures were taken, after which all three were sold in 1958 to Hagen Bros. Circus (Howard Suesz)