1844: Berlin Zoological Garden is the oldest Zoo in Germany, opened 1844.
1857: The first elephant was bought 1857 for 2 500 Taler from Menagerie Liphard.
The elephant Pagoda in 1930
1939: before World war II, Berlin Zoo kept over 4 000 mammals, and over 1400 species of birds.
1941: Bombs fell on Berlin Zoo, an antelope was the only animal to die (Heck, 1952, 142-143).
1943: The elephants and many other animals in Berlin Zoo were killed by the air attacks of November 22 and 23, 1943, and the BBC at the time reported incorrectly that animals had escaped from the zoo during the bombardment and had been machine-gunned in the streets (Heck, 1952, 168) The famous old elephant house in pagod style was totally destroyed by bombings the 22 November 1943, when also 7 elephants died, and a bull had to be shot because he went out in the zoo from the destructed stables. Only 91 animals survived the war, among them the the elephant bull Siam, who died in 1947 because of enteritis. During the next three years, Berlin Zoo had no elephant
1950: the director Dr. Katharina Heinroth received the three year old Shanti, as a gift from Pandit Nehru and India. She had to be housed in the sebra stable until the new house was erected in 1955.
The new elephant house was enlarged in the 90s and now has a pool and two bullboxes prepared for Protected contact.