Vang Vieng elephant sanctuary, located at Main Street, Ban Savang, in Vang Vieng, Laos, opened for public in 2018 and the first elephant arrived in 2018. The last elephant left in 2019.
Vang Vieng was first settled around 1353 as a staging post between Luang Prabang and Vientiane. Originally named Mouang Song after the body of the deceased King Phra Nha Phao of Phai Naam was seen floating down the river, the town was renamed Vang Vieng during French colonial rule in the 1890s.
Vang Vieng elephant sanctuary used to rent elephants from private owners, with plans to buy their own elephants in the future. The location was closed from march 2019, and all the elephants are back to there families locations in Laos.