Madras Vandalur Zoo (Arignar Anna Zoological Park), located at GST Road, Vandalur-Kelambakkam Road, in Chennai, India, was founded in 1979 and the first elephant arrived in 1979.
At Madras Vandalur Zoo (Arignar Anna Zoological Park) lives 9 elephants with records in this database: (detail list)
The Zoo was initiated as an outsourced zoo from Vandalur Zoo in Chennai.
Founded in 1855, the old Madras Zoo, was situated in Peoples Park near Park Town. By 1975, the zoo had expanded and had to be moved out of the city. In 1979, the Tamil Nadu Forest Department set aside 1300 acres (5.2 kmö) on the outskirts of the city to build the current zoo, which is one of the largest in South Asia.
The new sprawling zoo on Vandalur-Kelambakkam Road was inaugurated by then Chief Minister M.G. Ramachandran.
The Arignar Anna Zoological Park, also known as the Vandalur Zoo, is located in Vandalur, 30 kilometers from the city of Chennai, India and 15 kilometers from Chennai Airport on GST Road.