Wirth Circus, in Sydney, Australia
, was founded in 1882 and the first elephant arrived in 1899. Wirth Circus closed down in 1963 in Sydney, .
Ocean View at 370 Alison Road, Sydney, was built in 1916 by Phillip Wirth,
a prominent member of the Wirth circus dynasty. Because of the cramped conditions associated with circus life, the Australian Heritage Database states, "he was determined that his house would be of a grand nature, providing his family with all the creature comforts and conveniences that life on the road had deprived them of."
Perched on a ridge with panoramic coastal views, the two-storey home has an ensuite in each bedroom - one of the earliest houses in Sydney known to have such mod cons. There was even a private zoo on the original 3693 square-metre block. When the circus was in town, residents would witness a parade of animals moving between the eastern suburbs and the city.