Gregory, Crane and Co Menagerie in United States


Gregory, Crane and Co Menagerie
Typecircus
Closed down1835
CountryUnited States
Random literature
Description

Gregory, Crane and Co Menagerie, located in United States. Gregory, Crane and Co Menagerie closed down in 1835.


Comments / pictures

1832: the caravan was titled Birchard & Co. Menagerie.

1833: it became Gregory, Crane &Co.

This firm was a continuation of Birchard & Co (30), most likely as a result of its sale to Spencer Gregory (1802-1882) and Gerard Crane (5, 10). The chief attraction of the collection was the elephant Flora, which was first advertised by that name with this company.

1834: Edward S. Eldred (1811-1850) owned and operated the American Circus in 1834. Beginning his tour in Mobile, Alabama, in January, he worked his way across the South until he reached Baltimore in October. The Gregory, Crane & Co. menagerie (36) had reached the same area at the same time. There then occurred the transfer we alluded to above, in which Crane joined with Eldred while Gregory joined with the Washburn’s and two new shows were created: Crane & Eldreds Menagerie and Gregory, Washburn and Co.

1835: In 1835, the menagerie became part of The Zoological Institute.


References for records about Gregory, Crane and Co Menagerie

Recommended Citation

Koehl, Dan (2020). Gregory, Crane and Co Menagerie, Elephant Encyclopedia. Available online at https://www.elephant.se/location2.php?location_id=2331. (archived at the Wayback machine)

Sources used for this article is among others:



Search more with Google for Gregory, Crane and Co Menagerie


Search more on the Internet Web for Gregory, Crane and Co Menagerie

Categoriescircus in United States | United States portal



This document was updated: 2020-10-30 07:03:11


Elephant Encyclopedia and database
ELEPHANT
ENCYCLOPEDIA

Established 1995
ELEPHANT
DATABASE
Established 2006
Search for keywords
Your ip: 3.235.173.155