Tsavo East National Park is one of the oldest and largest parks in Kenya at 11,747 square kilometers.
Opened in April of 1948, it is located near the village of Voi in the Taita District of Coast Province.
The park is divided into east and west sections by the A109 road and a railway.
Named for the Tsavo River, which flows west to east through the national park, it borders the Chyulu Hills National Park, and the Mkomazi Game Reserve in Tanzania.
Tsavo became very dry in the seventies, and most of the parks elephants died out of starvation.