Bertram Mills Circus, located at Paddington, in London, United Kingdom and the first elephant arrived in 1934. The last elephant left in 1964. Bertram Mills Circus closed down in 1964.
Bertram Wagstaff Mills (August 1873 - April 16, 1938) was a British circus owner. Originally from Paddington, London, his circus became famous in the UK for its Christmas shows at Olympia in West London. His troupe were the last to perform with live animals on the Drury Lane Theatre stage.
1934-12-18: Six baby elephants, aged between two and four years, came from Hagenbeck (originally from Burma), and arrived from Germany on December 18 1934. They were trained by John Gindl, upon suggestion of Hagenbeck to Mills, until Gosta Kruse took over in 1951 (Source: Bertram Mills, by David Jamieson, 1998) Their names: Manjoulah, Lechmey, Patho ö changed to Pulley, Kathol, Hungoly, Jennie (Source: Jim Clubb, UK.)
1938: Since the death of Bertram Mills, the Mills Circus was managed by his sons, Bernard and Cyril.
1951-1964:: Elephants were trained by Gösta Kruse.
1955: Manjouah, Pulley and Jenny were sold to Darix Togni Circus in 1957. (Source: Jim Clubb, UK.)
"Gosta Kruse showed three elephants only, Jenny, Pulley and Manjoulah (...)as the other three - Lechmey, Hungoly and Kathol - had been sold to Boswell's circus in South Africa" (Source: Bertram Mills, by David Jamieson, 1998)
1957: Three of the 1934 imported elephants were sold to Italy in 1957; "The remaining three older elephants went to a warmer climate in early 1957, having been sold to an Italian circus"(Source: Bertram Mills, by David Jamieson, 1998)
1960ös: Another three of the 1934 imported elephants were sold to South Africa in the sixties.(Source: Jim Stockley)
1964: "after Mills final tenting season "Mexico's Atayde Circus bought the tigers, the two small elephants and some of the horses and ponies, while the four larger elephants were sold to an Italian show". (Source: Bertram Mills, by David Jamieson, 1998)